Flash flooding has forced the closure of several roads across southeast Queensland as heavy rain continues to fall on the already soaked region.
More than 250mm fell on parts of the Gold Coast in the 24 hours to Monday morning, prompting warnings for people to stay home.
Emergency Services Minister Mark Ryan said it wasn’t worth the risk.
“We are in a situation at the moment where very heavy downfalls of rain are occurring in very short periods of time, which is leading to dangerous situations arising very suddenly,” he said.
“It is imperative that people stay abreast of the weather warnings and also that everyone take a very cautious approach when driving on the roads.
“We all have a responsibility to make good decisions on the road to keep other drivers and ourselves safe.”
Scores of roads across Queensland have been closed due to flash flooding. According to RACQ these included as of 11pm on Monday night:
- Tarana crossing road, Kinnoul, 4420
- Moray carmichael boundary road, Belyando, 4721
- Doonside road,Canal Creek, 4702
- Blackwater cooroorah road, MacKenzie River
- Hardys road Mudgeeraba, 4213
- Birds road, Guanaba, 4210
- Gunsynd drive, Mudgeeraba, 4213
- Berrigans road Mudgeeraba, 4213
- Somerset drive Mudgeeraba, 4213
- Hotham creek road Willow Vale, 4209
- Currumbin creek road Currumbin Valley, 4223
- Vince hinde drive, Worongary, 4213
- Pimpama jacobs well road Pimpama, 4209
- Whittington road Moodlu, 4510
- Mott street Brendale, 4500
- Williams road Moodlu, 4510
- Old gympie road Elimbah, 4516
- Kobble creek road, Kobble Creek, 4520
- Kirri avenue, Petrie, 4502
- Hansen road, Yugar, 4520
- Williams road, Elimbah, 4516
- Blue pacific road, Deception Bay, 4508
- Moore road, Kurwongbah, 4503
- Buchanan road, Morayfield, 4506
- Caboolture river road, Rocksberg, 4510
- Lees crossing road, Dayboro, 4521
- Gordons road, Cedar Creek, 4520
- Goodrich road east, Griffin, 4503
- Station street / hill street, Pomona, 4568
- Gold coast springbrook road, Mudgeeraba, 4213
- Henry road, Griffin, 4503
- Chamomile street, Griffin, 4503
- Siganto drive, Helensvale, 4212
- Ruffles road, Upper Coomera / Willow Vale, 4209
- Maudsland road, Oxenford, 4210
- Glover road, Armstrong Creek, 4520
- Keillors Crossing, Rocksberg, 4510
- Stanmore road, Yatala, 4207
- Hollett road, Doonan, 4562
- Guanaba creek road, Guanaba, 4210
- Mcnamara road, Rocksberg, 4510
- Curtis road, Cedar Creek, 4520
- Moorina road, Narangba, 4504
- Ryder road, Highvale, 4520
- Whiteside road, Kurwongbah, 4503
- Dawson creek road, Highvale, 4520
- Baker road, Laceys Creek, 4521
- Basin road, Wamuran Basin, 4512
- Kinsellas road west, Mango Hill, 4509
- Whiteside road, Whiteside, 4503
- Avalon road, Sheldon, 4157
- Rasmussen road, Neurum, 4514
- Pringles road, Kobble Creek, 4520
- Tallebudgera creek road, Tallebudgera Valley, 4228
- Leda boulevard, Morayfield, 4506
- Louis bazzo drive (six mile creek bridge), Pomona, 4568
- Andersons road, Federal, 4568
- Skyring creek road, Federal, 4568
- Crest hill drive, Wongawallan, 4210
- Palm tree road, Homebush, 4740
- Barrie lane, Eton / Homebush, 4740 / 4741
- Dot newman court, Upper Caboolture, 4510
- Oakey flat road, Narangba, 4504
With more rain expected to fall on the region in the coming days, motorists are being urged to drive to the conditions and monitor road updates at www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au.
Meanwhile, shocking footage has emerged of a driver trapped in his car as it was carried along in floodwaters.
It comes as parts of NSW inundated by a one-in-100-year rain event request more help to help deal with the devastation.
Emergency Services Minister David Elliott said the government had requested the assistance of the Defence Force.