Dog dies from heat after being left tied to a clothesline

A dog has died after it was tied to a clothesline in a residential backyard and suffered from heat exhaustion.

RSPCA Queensland inspector Ben Newman was called out to the job in Southside on Wednesday and found the dog had managed to tangle its lead around the clothesline, and had little movement.

There was also no food or water left out for the canine and no shelter was provided on the 33C day while the home occupants were out, the animal welfare group said.

Inspector Newman rushed the dog to RSPCA Queensland’s veterinary surgery at Wacol but the dog died upon arrival.

Chief inspector Daniel Young reminded pet owners to put out sufficient food and water on hot days.

“It’s only the second day of summer. Please ensure that when animals are unattended they have access to food, water and shelter at all times,” he said.

If an animal is in distress, call the RSPCA’s 24/7 animal emergency hotline on 1300 264 625.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *